Have you ever noticed how much trash traveling generates? There are water bottles, plastic silverware, tiny packages of toiletries, travel sized food packets and endless napkins.
On my 6 hour and 14 minute Hawaiian Air flight passengers were offered:
- a plastic beverage cup 6 times
- a plastic and foil package of pretzels containing approximately 7 mini pretzels
- a breakfast burrito wrapped in its own plastic container accompanied by a muffin wrapped in its own plastic and a set of plastic silverware (including a spoon?) with a napkin which was wrapped in its own plastic. All of these items were encased in a cardboard box akin to a Happy Meal.
- approximately 20 napkins
What can we do to stop so much trash from generating?
- Bring your own water bottle to the airport and fill it before getting on the plane.
- If you accept a complimentary beverage, save your cup for refills.
- Do not accept food that you will not eat. (Really wishing I would have followed this one at breakfast time because the “meal” was awful as plane food mostly is).
- Bring fruit like oranges and bananas which grow their own packaging for snacks.
Any other ideas?